Monday, September 24, 2007

Burgers and Twinkies for United Way

Hey everybody,

This Wednesday we're doing the Hamburger Luncheon for United Way over at First Baptist Church of Maryville across from the courthouse, and first of all, I wanna' say a special thanks to Blount County Circuit Court Clerk Tom Hatcher and his entire committee who have worked so hard on this thing. This is their fourth year doin' this thing, and when Tom was Public Service campaign chair four years ago, he had this idea about a hamburger lunch. He put it together, thinkin' it may be something that could take off, and it's exceeded any expectations any of us had.

And I'm going to be doing fried Twinkies for $2.00. I deep-fried Twinkies for Relay for Life, and the committee asked me if I could come by and deep fry some Twinkies for the luncheon. And you know me, I love anything deep-fried. Anything deep-fried is good – except for squash. And these deep-fried Twinkies are gonna' be $2.00 each, so you better come early because we are gonna' sell out.

I don't think there's any doubt we're gonna' sell out of burgers, too. You can get carry-out and delivery (for ten orders or more). But if you can, come to First Baptist Church because there'll be a lot of fellowship. And for $5.00 – you can't eat lunch anywhere in town for $5.00. You get a burger, chips, drink, and a cookie for only five bucks, and be sure to come see me for a fried Twinkie.

We'll see if Joe Dawson at Blount Memorial can offer cholesterol tests with the purchase of a deep-fried Twinkie.

Rumor has it Ken Schwall from WBIR Channel 10 might shoot a Positively Schwall story for the 6:00 o'clock news. Ken heard about me frying Twinkies, and thought it might make a good story – especially with me having heart surgery several months back. To the rumors that Ken might be there, I think me frying Twinkies fits into his stories perfectly – especially with me and my Twinkie King hat!


Well, I'll see y'all at the burger luncheon this Wednesday! By the way if you want to place a carry-out or delivery order, just email burgers@unitedwayblount.org or call 661-9341.

Blog you soon,
Dave Bennett

No comments: