Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Girl Scouts

Hey everybody,

This campaign is going strong! A little birdie at United Way told me we've raised $790,039 so far. We're over a third of the way there! Thank you!

I wanted to tell y'all about the visit I had with the Girl Scouts.

I met with Lucille Griffo and several from her staff over there. They're really an amazing bunch out there, and they opened my eyes to what the Girl Scouts do in the community.

The impact the Girl Scouts make on these girls is wonderful, and I had no idea what all they did. When I thought about Girl Scout troops, I thought of Daisies and Brownies, earning badges, and cookies. I mean thought that’s all they did. (By the way I am a Thin Mint man. But tag-a-longs are a close second!)

The outreach they are doing is just tremendous. They're mentoring leaders, and ya' know when it really comes down to what United Way’s mission is, they are meeting it. They promote self sufficiency, change lives, create positive change - that is what the Girl Scouts are doing. Taking young girls, and in some cases, older ladies who have never been involved that are becoming troop leaders. They are teaching them life skills and making change. A girl that goes through Girl Scouts is a better learner, a better student, better behaved, has life skills that allow her to build character and integrity and all those things that are so vital as you’re growing up to learn.

It's like Lucille said: They are helping people develop those leadership skills so that they can make better decisions.

I really enjoyed that visit, learning what they are doing, creating lasting change is what they are doing.

Blog ya' soon,
Dave Bennett

P.S. I gotta' say it was great to see Sherry Harris. She's with Girl Scouts now, and she used to work with us over at the courthouse.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave -- Thanks so much for your great review of the Girl Scouts, for which I serve on the board. They are indeed an exceptionally well-managed, professionally driven agency serving our community here in Blount County.

With all the poor influences in the media and entertainment worlds today, Girl Scouts and the Tanasi Council give Blount girls positive role models and a source to grow their self-esteem, as well as marketable skills they'll use throughout life.

Thanks again for the support -- as well as for your terrific leadership!

-Mary Beth West

Anonymous said...

Mary Beth,

Your are welcome and thank you for your leadership. We had a great visit with the folks there and it was also great to see my old friend Sherry.